Pictures above is my E-bike. A one year old BMC-powered folder conversion with over 3000 miles on it in about a year and a half of riding . Every mile I ride on this bike over the beater car behind it (also mine), I save money and help the environment.
If you are thinking about buying an E-bike, but not sure about spending the money, this article might help you formulate the right decision. If you use it, an E-bike can actually save you money and pay for itself in a short time. Electricbike.com has compiled a list of 10 ways an electric bike can save you money, to help you justify the smart decision of going out and buying an E-bike today. For more information on exact dollar amounts you can save use the Currie Calculator here. Not only will you be doing something for the environment (one less car) but you will be doing something for yourself and your financial future. Buying an electric bike is smart money…here is why:
- Gas money …..This one is obvious. It only costs a couple of cents to charge an e-bike battery which can get you up to 20 miles. An electric bike, because of its light weight and efficient electric motor is much more efficent than even the most efficient cars. Will gas prices spike-up again? what do you think!?
- Car replacement….owning a car or two cars is expensive, not only for fuel price but also for fixed monthly costs such as insurance, maintenance, and storage. If you can get rid of one car in trade for your new electric bike, you will pay for the bike in no time. And you will be an E-bike hero with the whole “one less car” thing. PLUS, the car you keep will last a lot longer.
- Time Saving…when you consider traffic, parking, etc, an E-bike in a big city can be more effiicent time wise than a car and definately more efficient than walking. Time is money.
- Parking and tolls… E-bikes can be locked to any post, just like a bicycle. Like a bicycle, they are not required to pay tolls on bridges or autoways. Also: no insurance or annual registration renewal.
- Cheap recreation….electric bikes are a blast to ride! If you ride your E-bike instead of doing some other form of costly entertainment like riding motorycles, skydiving, or going to the movies…you are saving money.
- Vacation near the house…if you have a fleet of E-bikes, you can vacation with your family on day trips near your home, instead of having to travel far away to find adventures.
- Health costs…some people claim that E-bikes are actually better exercise than a regular bike because you are more likely to go out and ride more often. Getting out and exercising is good for you physically and mentally and will save you a lot of money in the long term with health care costs, length of life, etc.
- Emergency Preparedness…an E-bike can be your best friend if you need to get out of town fast in case of a great disaster (clogged motorways etc)…it is also good to have in case your car breaks down.
- Cheap Dates…having two E-bikes can go a long way to finding your soul mate and showing her a good time without breaking your bank.
- Grabbing Groceries instead of eating out – An e-bike makes a perfect grocery getter, and you can pull right up to the store with no hassle of parking etc. If you just opt to get groceries on your E-bike every time you have an urge to go out and eat out, you will save money fast.