Owning a fast electric bike can be expensive. (see our article) Here are some ways you can save yourself some money.
1. Invest now in a good battery pack with a good bms now to save money later.Consider using the bulkier and heavier battery technology lifepo4, which is not as dense as the other lithium chemistry (lipo) but your pack will last you 3x as long (over 1000 charges), and will not be as prone to unexpected failure.
2. Consider throwing down big $ for a fast, reputable, reliable turn key bike like the Stealth or the Optibike, you may end up saving money in the long run. Long warranties on high performance electric bikes are a bargain.
3. Go with a big, heavy (and expensive) hub motor like the Cromotor or Crystalite 5304 to go fast and stay reliable.
4. Remember that heat is your biggest enemy in terms of reliability when running a fast electric bike. Think of ways to cool your battery and controller and you can crank twice as much power through your set up.
5. Spend time on Endless-Sphere, the e-bike hotrodders hang out to build knowledge if you are seriously considering a fast bike.
6. Consider buying a used fast electric bike from one of the builders on Endless Sphere.
7. Get to know our recommended vendors. All of these guys can help you build a fast e-bike on the cheap.
8. Use your fast electric bike whenever possible as a commuting machine to quickly save cash.
9. Research the laws in your area, and talk to other ebike owners in your area to familiarize yourself with laws pertaining to ebikes in your jurisdiction before making the jump to a fast electric bike.
10. Invest in quality safety gear now to save from costly injuries later.
Read our article on how an electric bike can save you money.